Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Final words on the eating log

There is a lot more to racing than racing. The "a lot more" is of course training. I was not able to get any training in today, but had a much more enjoyable day spending time with my mom on her birthday.

Tomorrow's plan is to make a training plan to follow until my official 20 week Ironman training plan starts. I haven't really been doing any structured training for the last four months, but I know I train better when I have a plan. I'm also working on getting into a routine with my training, which proves to be very difficult with a 2.5 year old sometimes.

Went to the running store today to try to get some shoes to run the marathon in. I was looking for something a little lighter with firmer cushioning, as I train in Nike Vomeros, which are pretty hefty and have very soft cushioning. I tried on the new Nike Lunar Trainers. I really liked , but as they are a totally new technology, the guy at the running store said he didn't know if they'd make a good marathon shoe. I ended up leaving empty handed. I'm thinking about trying some Asics Speedstar 3s.

Now back to the discussion on nutrition. Time to pull out your eating log that tells you what you and and why. Hopefully, this exercise was pretty self-explanatory, but I do just want to talk about a few things. First, you need to eat when your hungry or about every 3-4 hours, so when you look at your log, we want to try to eliminate most of those times that we eat "just because." YES, it is okay to occasionally eat things that are not nutritious, because we like them or because we just feel like it. The key is to not make this a regular occurrence. We want most of the reasons that we eat to be "because I was hungry," "it was mealtime or snack time," or "I needed some extra protein for the day." All of these reasons are good reasons and we should eat for good reasons. Remember we need to eat to be able to train and to reach our full potential. I encourage everyone to do this log every few months to help stay on track with their eating plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment