Saturday, February 21, 2009

I can see!

I made it through my LASIK procedure with out any problems. I was at the doctor's office this morning, and I'm excited to say that I saw 20/25 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right eye. I've never have had perfect vision, even with contacts or glasses, so these results are great. Especially, because my vision will continue to improve as my eyes heal. I should be at least 20/25 in both eyes and maybe even 20/20, which would be something I've never experienced before.

The procedure itself was very short. I was in the surgery suite for less than 15 minutes. It was not painful at all, but was very scary. Right after I laid down on the surgery table, I almost got up and said "Forget it, I'm too scared. I don't want to do it." But before I had time to say anything, they had all of the equipment over me, so I couldn't sit up and the nurse immediately began cleaning my eyes off. Next came the doctor and the surgery began. The procedure was not painful at all, but was scary. I think I held my breath almost the whole time. The worst part of the whole thing were the metal clamps that they used to hold my eyes open. Before I knew it, everything was over, and I was walking out of the doctor's office in my very stylish clear plastic eye shields with doctor's office sun glasses over the top. They told me the pain and burning in the eyes would pretty bad the first 4-6 hours after the surgery, but before I left the doctor's office, they gave me something to make me sleepy, so I would be able to take a nap. I was tired by the time I got home and by that point, I was so happy to go to sleep, because the burning in my eyes was like nothing I had ever felt before. I laid down in bed, and when I awoke from my nap 2 hours later, the pain was almost completely gone. I sat around bored for the rest of the day wearing my eye shields and my old lady sunglasses, as I was not allowed to read, watch TV, use the computer, or be out in the sun.

Today, I was back to all of my normal activities. There are only three basic rules I have to follow. First, make sure I put all of my drops in my eyes (I basically have to put drops in my eyes every hour that I'm awake until Monday). Second, no sweat in the eyes and no swimming for two weeks. Three, no rubbing, scratching, or touching my eyes for 5 days.

After all of the months of being nervous, I'm so glad I didn't chicken out. It has been great today, being able to see without contacts or glasses for the first time since 2nd grade! I would highly recommend LASIK and for those in STL, Dr. Wexler at TLC was great!

I ran 6 easy miles today on the treadmill. Had to be careful not to break a sweat as to not violate the no sweat in the eye rule. It was wonderful to run and not have my glasses bouncing around on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment