Friday, February 6, 2009

Bike Fit

I the workout I had scheduled for Tuesday today, as I did today's scheduled workout on Tuesday. I did a fartlek workout of 3 minutes hard and 3 minutes easy for 30 minutes. With a warm-up and cool down, I did 5.5 miles. Felt good. I think things are finally back to normal after being sick for 5 days.

As a lot of people are thinking about getting a bike this time of year, I wanted to take a minute to emphasize the importance of getting a good bike fit. What is a bike fit? A bike fit is far more than the old fashion stand over the bike and make sure you have a few inches to spare. Bike fitting is an art and a science and now days, thanks to technology, it's very high tech and even more precise than ever. A lot of people walk into a bike shop know the kind of bike they want to get, but in my opinion a better approach is to get a bike fit and have your fit technician recommend a bike that fits your body that is in your price range. After all, the bike should fit the person. The person can't be made to fit the bike. An added bonus is that usually, the bike fit is deducted from the cost of your bike.

By being placed on the right bike that is set up correctly, it is usually possible to eliminate most discomfort a person has experienced previously on the bike. Also, a proper fitting bike will ensure you are not creating inefficiences from a poor fit. Finally, a great fitting bike will help to reduce the risk of injury.

For more info, I suggest visiting Retul and Serotta Fit.

Bottom line, a bike fit will make you more comfortable on the bike, reduce your risk of injury, make you faster, and it's usually included in the cost of your bike. Why wouldn't you get a bike fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment