Saturday, March 7, 2009

Yes, swimming workouts are long compared to your race distance

I had an easy 6 miles on my schedule for today. Didn't get it in.

I gave a swim lesson to a new client tonight and also discussed this at my intro to tri clinic last week . . . your swimming workouts should generally be quite a bit longer then your race distance. This is one aspect that swimming training differs quite a bit from cycling and running training. For example if you are a beginner triathlete training for an Olympic distance triathlon, which includes a 1500 meter swim, in my opinion, you should consistently be swimming more than 2000 yards/meters during your swim workouts. On the other hand, your run workouts for the 6.2 mile run segment of the race would most likely consist of a lot of 6 mile and under runs and the occasional longer run over 6 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment