Friday, March 13, 2009

R.I.C.E.

I had an easy 20 minute jog today. My knee is still bothering me. I'm hoping is starts feeling better soon. I'll have to admit that I haven't been taking the time to ice it. Going to start tonight!

I don't have any authority to speak on this topic, but often clients ask me what they should do when they experience a minor ache or pain. The best way to treat acute injuries experienced during the course of training is the R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate) method. If the injury is so painful that it's causing you to limp or that it hurts all the time, it is best to take a couple of days off. For more chronic conditions heat can be helpful, but should not be applied right after a workout. If things don't start feeling better after a few days off, it's probably time to consider going to see a doctor.

Tomorrow, I'll be heading out on my bike for the first time in a long time for a short easy ride with the Maplewood Multisport Club. I'm very behind on my cycling training.

No comments:

Post a Comment